The Electrical Engineer is primarily responsible for the creation and implementation of electrical power systems designed for new construction and maintenance projects; for the integration of the electrical power systems design into the overall project plans; for the planned maintenance of components of the electrical power system; and for the administration of construction and maintenance contracts related to electrical power systems.
Duties and responsibilities
1. Complies with DOT and OSHA health, safety and environmental requirements and follows safety philosophy and procedures developed by the Company including; applicable environmental, health sand safety rules, procedures and accepted safe work practices; the use of appropriate personal protective equipment and safety systems; and the reporting of workplace hazards and injury or illness arising from workplace activities and observes the workplace to identify conditions or behaviors that should be corrected and takes appropriate action.
2. Implements or supervises the creation of engineering designs and drawings and prepares specifications for electrical power systems (related to power substations, bus ducts, switchgears, capacitor banks, high voltage distribution systems, power generation equipment, power transfer switching equipment and motor control centers) and for components related to electrical power systems used in the construction of new pipeline facilities or the maintenance or upgrading of existing facilities.
3. Manages electrical power system installation and maintenance projects from initiation through closure including, but not limited to, the preparation of project scope of work and cost estimates, preparing Authorization For Expenditures for projects, the development of project schedules and bid packets, the purchase of materials, coordination of installation and inspection activities, reporting project status updates, monitoring budgets and timelines, managing change controls, start-up, prepare as-built data, implement personnel training and completion of post project reviews.
4. Provides field supervision or makes arrangement for field supervision of contractors who are installing new equipment; making medications to existing electrical power equipment; or performing maintenances to electrical power systems to achieve project deliverables.
5. Oversees the process of updating existing protective relays settings or programming used in electrical power systems and maintaining a record of these relay settings or programming.
6. Provides technical advice to company personnel on the operation, testing and maintenance including malfunctions and failures of electrical power systems and prepares and updates safety and operation procedures for electrical power systems.
7. Manages the development of process mapping and updating existing process maps and the preparation of operations and safety procedures based upon the process maps related to electrical power systems.
8. Prepares recommendation for annual expense budget, annual capital budgets and department budgets and prepared project write-ups with estimated costs and schedule in support of these recommendations to be submitted to management.
Qualifications include a Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering and a minimum of 7 years experience in the implementation of electrical and power component designs for new construction and maintenance projects; the integration of the designs into the overall project plans; and the administration of construction and maintenance contracts within the pipeline industry is required. Specialized education, which provides additional knowledge in the design and operation of high voltage power systems and induction motors; and Professional engineer license (PE) through the National Society of Professional Engineers is preferred. The successful candidate will have knowledge of high and medium voltage electrical systems and have the ability to utilize computer hardware and software such as SKM Power System and GE Multilin Relay Software to manage, record and evaluate company information.
To learn more and/or apply for this opportunity, please Apply Now.